If you are making your list and checking it twice and find that you have a traveler, wanderer, or other hopeless wanderluster on your list, this is your gift guide. There’s something here for the family traveler, the geek traveler, the hipster traveler, and the practical traveler.
- The Family Travelers Handbook. The newest addition to the popular Traveler’s Handbook series, this real-world guide offers practical and inspiring advice about how to travel with kids and really enjoy it. This book has a personal place in my heart because it is written by my dear friend and colleague Mara Gorman of The Mother of All Trips. Mara was the primary inspiration for my travel writing and I am so lucky to have shared my love of travel, love of motherhood, and love of bacon with such a talented writer. With witty and inspiring stories from real parents who make family travel work, this book is at the top of my list for parents who love to travel or want to travel with their kids.
- Escape Monthly. This is the only destination based monthly subscription box that brings the best of an exciting destination right to your doorstep. Each box includes full sized products (including snacks, spa products, and gift certificates!), travel guides, and special discounts. Think of it as a vacation in a box that explores the best of the destination and offers a luxurious virtual escape.
- Novica. In association with National Geographic, this fair trade company has partnered with over 2000 extraordinary master artists from all around the world to create one of kind, handmade works of art that represent locally sourced materials and techniques that connect the final product to the country of origin. Gift buyers can choose to shop by country, material, or category in products ranging from jewelry to furniture to apparel. Whatever the gift, it gives back doubly with the knowledge that the purchase allows the artisans the pride of following their creative passions while providing for their livelihood.
~Novica gifts arrive beautifully gift wrapped, so you just have to give and feel good.~
- Scratch Map from Uncommon Goods. Uncommon Goods offers a wide range of unique products that are perfect for travelers, wanderers, and other dreamers. This Scratch Map is one of my favorites for a gift, both for its value and aesthetics. The map encourages the owner to grab a coin and scratch off the areas of the map that have been visited to reveal a pop of color underneath. It’s a fun and beautiful way to mark those countries off the adventure list.
- Scottevest. This “obsessively engineered” line of clothing is designed with a network of pockets and compartments that allow travelers to carry everything they need effortlessly and stylishly. Scottevest makes vests, jackets, fleece jackets, pullovers, hoodies, and pants, which incorporate specialized pockets and wire management features. Any Scottevest garment can be thought of as an extra carry –on bag and make getting through security with all your traveling gear a breeze. What matters most though, is that Scottevest is just as pretty as it is functional!
- Voyage Necklace by Bel Kai Designs. I love it. It is beautiful. It speaks the words of my soul. What more do you need to know? (Pssst….honey, you can buy it right here.)
- Suction Cup iPhone Stand. All is right with the world with the phone nestled happily in my hot little hand. Except, of course, when I am on a flight and I want any place at all to put my phone besides in my hand. I like the safety of sticking this onto the airplane tray table, especially for when my kids commandeer my phone for the long haul flight.
- Packing Cubes. Even when I am packing in a hurry, I like to pack neatly. Unfortunately, some members of my family do not share my affinity for neatness, so even if I start out with a sparkly suitcase, it is wrecked in the first day. This summer, I learned that my messies really respond well to packing in giant ziplock bags, so this is a slightly classier step in the right direction to keeping our suitcases neat.
- Stitched Keepsake Map. The first time I saw this beautiful idea on Pinterest, I pinned it immediately with plans to make a keepsake worthy of our 10,000 mile road trip last fall. Then, I came to my senses and remembered that I don’t sew or don’t have time for crafts and looked for a ready-made version. This is a perfect keepsake for an epic trip of any kind.
- The Travel Book from Lonely Planet. This most epic of coffee table books lists every country in the world (and a few places that are not countries) in A to Z format. It is a great book for those who travel or dream of exploring far-off lands. Dazzling, full-color photographs and explorer-friendly text describe every country equally well, playing no favorites and inspiring all kinds of travel.
I have received some of these items for the purpose of review. They were given with no expectation of positive review or inclusion of this gift guide. All opinions are my own.